RSS Feed

Behind The News (Student Responses)

AMpTue, 12 Feb 2013 06:57:53 -040057Tuesday 14, 2009 by Grade56neighbourhood blog   

The news has been dominated this week by a huge scandal that has damaged the reputation of Australian sport. A year-long investigation found that some sports stars have been breaking the rules by using drugs to improve their performance.

What should be the penalty for athletes taking performance enhancing Drugs?

(This was a great response by Alexander)

Right now, the general public do not have a clear vision of what is happening. In fact, watching the Footy Drug Summit on Channel 7 last night, it seemed that even Andrew Demetriou and other people at the centre of this saga were not sure themselves of what was happening. However, I believe drugs and doping should not be allowed in the AFL or any other sporting league in Australia. I think every player,coach and club doctors who encourage or take these drugs should be heavily penalised or given a life ban.

33 Comments »

1. George,Theo and Digory says:

We don’t know enough to have our own opinion and they have no proof that they have had drugs.

2. caleb says:

if players took drugs in any sport they should be suspended a high price of money and get two warnings before they are banned from the sport.

3. Sara F says:

I think that the sports athletes should be banned for about a year or so off the sport that they play, I think it is fair for people who take performance enhancing drugs

4. Alia says:

If players are found heavily doping and winning, the players that is doping should be banned from the sport for enough time that makes them learn their lesson, even if that means life. If the player is doping, but not very heavily, they should be suspended from the sport.

5. Alice says:

I think that if there is proof that the player has been taking performance enhancing drugs on a number of times then, they should be striped of all there awards/medals and given to who ever came second. Although if it is only the one
    time then they should be suspended from the sport for a year.

– Alice

6. Ezekiel says:

I think that, most of all, all players should be treated the same way. Players caught taking drugs should either be banned from the sport or be put into a different sport with others who have also been caught taking drugs.

7. Scarlett says:

I think that the penalty for doping should be that the person or people banned from the sport forever.How do you make the difference between people who love playing the sport and people who play and cheat for the money?

8. michael L says:

I think that the people that are running on performance enhancing drugs should get banned from playing the sport for about five years before getting a second chance.

9. Olivia.R says:

I think they should be suspended from the game for 3 or so weeks and if they do it again a couple of months but if they do it again the should not be allowed to play.

10. Alexander says:

Right now, the general public do not have a clear vision of what is happening. In fact, watching the Footy Drug Summit on Channel 7 last night, it seemed that even Andrew Demetriou and other people at the centre of this saga were not sure themselves of what was happening.
    However, I believe drugs and doping should not be allowed in the AFL or any other sporting league in Australia. I think every player,coach and club doctors who encourage or take these drugs should be heavily penalised or given a life ban.

11. Fin says:

I reckon that if players were found doping that they should get suspended from the sport they play for along time until they can play again.

12. Stefan and Dante says:

We think that the football players are stupid to take drugs. Obviously they are bad at football because they took drugs.

13. Lily J says:

I think the person taking the drugs should not be allowed to play the sport even if they lose because you are not showing the talent that everyone wants to see. Also if someone looks up to you and then they find out you take drugs it could effect them and make them sick.

14. Dante says:

I Would Understand Why They Took Drugs, But Its Not Cool Or Allowed, Its Cheating!

15. Dathan M says:

I think the penalty for using drugs should be they miss out on a whole 2 seasons on their sport

16. Jarrah says:

players who are taking performance enhancing drugs should have to confess on TV and have all their trophies taken from them

17. Quade E says:

The penalty for taking drugs should be banned from sport for taking drugs should be a 4 year ban of sports. Because its ilegal and not fair for the people that dont take drugs.

18. Orlando Moloney says:

I think the penalty should be total suspension from any form of proffessional sport.

19. Holly says:

I think that depending on how long they have een taking the drugs, they should be banned from the sport for a while or forever. They should also get a fine.

20. Hugo W. The boss says:

Ummm to be hung by the neck until they’re dead.

😀

21. Jordan Seamus says:

They should be banned for life, because their making sport looked bad.

22. Jordan Seamus says:

They should be banned for life, because their making sport look bad.

23. lucy says:

i think sports star need to earn there pride so if they take drugs then i think they should be banned but they should have to work hard to get back there pride

24. Georgie and Ruby says:

i think the sports athelites should get banned for 2 or so years and have to pay back the money that they got.
    i think they should have to earn back there pride.

25. atlanta says:

i think that the consquence for doping should be suspension as it is harsh and the competitors know the rules and that doping’s wrong.

26. Liem says:

What I think is that they should ban for 4 football games, but what they should do is ban drugs from football, cricket and many more sports.

27. Daniel says:

i think the punishment should be that the get disqualfied from the sport and banned from playing the sport for the rest of their life .

28. claire says:

i do not know if people have had performance enhancing drugs so i can not say if there should be a punishment or not but i think the referee should give a urine test and/or a blood test to find out after each match.

29. Viarne says:

I think that if any sports player takes performance enhancing drugs that they should be banned from the sport for life. I also think that it is only fair that they are stripped of their medals and trophies and are kept somewhere until they earn them back (or just keep them). Shame on you Lance Armstrong!
    xxx Viarne 🙂

30. Karen says:

I think the word “athelite” although technically a misspelling, should be adopted as a term to denote any elite athlete!!