On Friday 24th of May is Walk Safely to School Day. We would encourage Year 5/6 students to walk part /or all of the way to school or to ride their bike to school on this day.
QUICK FACTS ABOUT NATIONAL WALK SAFELY TO SCHOOL DAY
NATIONAL WALK SAFELY TO SCHOOL DAY:
• Is an annual event held in Primary Schools around Australia and is on Friday May 24th.
• Asks parents and carers to walk their primary school aged children all or part of the way to school. Those who can’t walk the whole way are asked to combine a walk with public transport or to park the car a good distance away from the school and walk the rest of the way.
• Encourages regular physical activity because active kids are healthy kids!
• Helps to reduce hazardous traffic congestion in and around schools, creating pedestrian-safe areas for children entering or leaving school.
• Is a way parents, teachers, carers and students can help ease global warming and climate change, as they reduce car-dependency.
• Teaches children healthy lifestyle habits from a young age as they learn that walking is the best form of exercise. It’s easy, free and almost anyone can do it at anytime. And these habits tend to last a lifetime.