RSS Feed

Urban Park: Maths Presentations to Simon Ellis (Student post)

PMpThu, 19 Sep 2013 22:43:08 -040043Thursday 14, 2009 by Grade56neighbourhood blog   

Today a landscape architect called Simon Ellis came in to our school and spoke to us about his job. He showed us a PowerPoint that demonstrated the process he uses to design parks. There are lots of steps to designing parks and some of his parks took 6 months to design. He used $3000 software to help him draw the parks.

Some of us wanted to share our parks. We all had different ideas, and they were all fantastic. We had a $1000,0000 budget but some people chose to use less. With our park design it had to cater for all ages and cultures and had to be 60,000m2. The hardest part of the project was doing all of the costings and getting the scale correct.

It was a very enjoyable project because it was very different and we loved the maths and design elements. It was very challenging.    Jack,  Joel and Lucien

park

IMG_1764[1] IMG_1765[1] IMG_1766[1] IMG_1767[1] IMG_1768[1]

2 Comments »

1. Dianne Smith says:

I love the sound of this morning – what a great idea to combine maths with park-making. DS

2. Bruce Ferrington says:

Great work – I love your planning! Our Year 6 classes are planning an enviro-friendly refurb of our classrooms as a maths activity. I will show them your blog.